homeabout uscontact us
when you think real estate...

« Reports Show Real Estate is a Good Investment | Main | Builders on ice as housing starts fall 21% »

REALTORS® propose changes to capital gains tax

Canadian Government urged to extend tax rollover to small investors

Canada ’s housing market has always been a major indicator of the overall health and productivity of our economy. Now, organized real estate is taking a stand that could ultimately give a boost to the national economy while it benefits small investors who own secondary homes as investment properties. The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) is calling on the federal government to make changes to the Capital Gains Tax that would provide several economic benefits, including a boost in Canada’s productivity, expansion of rental housing, and encouragement of urban regeneration. CREA is one of Canada’s largest single-industry trade associations representing more than 88,000 REALTOR ® members across Canada, including us, your local Toronto Real Estate professionals.

As of March 16, 2007, CREA has met with MPs and other government officials to outline its tax proposal. Under the proposal, secondary homeowners would be allowed to defer capital gains tax when an investment property is sold and the proceeds of the sale are invested in another investment property within one year.

CREA’s proposal seeks to remedy the current situation, where small investors are holding onto their investment properties because of the tax consequences associated with selling and reinvesting. This practice of holding off on selling is “unduly influencing typical market activity,” says CREA. Members of CREA’s Canadian Commercial Council believe a tax deferral would trigger economic activity, since small investors typically undertake renovations and make related purchases when they reinvest. In many Canadian communities, small investors are at the heart of community development and redevelopment initiatives.

If you’d like to know more about buying a secondary property for investment purposes or selling your existing investment property, then just call the Team and we'll be happy to provide you with more info.

Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 at 12:13AM by Registered CommenterElaine in | Comments3 Comments

Reader Comments (3)

Does this Capital Gains proposal pertain to Canadians that own investment property in the USA. I have a property in Lake Placid and would like to sell it and buy another one in the USA that is larger. What would be my tax implication as a Canadian.
June 7, 2007 | Unregistered CommenterJoyce Giaconia
Hi Joyce,

The Capital Gains tax discussed in this article pertains to investment properties that are purchased in Canada by Canadian investors. The tax implications on investments outside of the country are typically subject to the country/state/province where the property is located, but to be sure, you should seek professional advice from your accountant.

Good luck!
June 25, 2007 | Registered CommenterElaine
We would like to help our son get into a condo, but he doesn't qualify for a mortgage. We were thinking of purchasing it in our names (his parents), and charge him fair market rent, and then be able to deduct the various expenses, i.e. mortgage interest, maintenance, taxes, etc. What are the tax implications for us if and when we decide to sell the property? Is this a good approach? Or should we put the title in our son's name and forget being his landlord so we won't have to pay capital gains tax after the condo is sold? Finally, one last question: would there be an advantage for us if my wife and I were to move into our condo after our son vacates it?
April 25, 2008 | Unregistered CommenterJerry

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
All HTML will be escaped. Hyperlinks will be created for URLs automatically.